Getting into the games industry//Games Art//Games Articles

Friday 10 June 2011

Internship

I'm at WORK at MEDIATONIC (I still love saying that) Yes, as you've probably guessed I went to the interview and got it, and started last week (That's the first of June). Obviously I can't say what I'm working on till it comes out, but all I'll say is it's an amazing game that's extremely addictive, making testing very fun.

I've been working mainly on level design, and a lot of exporting files and testing. Actually I think I've exported nearly 300 files in a week, which is kind of crazy. Level design is fun, and challenging. I find it fascinating seeing how each variable in the levels changes the difficulty, and how amazing it can be trying to get this right (Also very time consuming).

I kind of wish I was working more on the art side, but beggars can't be choosers and that job is being filled by some very talented people and some more year long internships (Who have all just graduated, so comparatively I'm very young compared to everyone else who is here).

In terms of the company, it's incredibly relaxed and I am incredibly envious of people working here full time. The first day I came in, I was sat down and told that YES I am allowed to go on facebook, and Paul (The boss; young, fun and incredibly talented) takes everyone out in the company for a meal at the end of every month and PAYS. Theres just a fridge full of drinks downstairs that you can just help yourself to, and all my meals and travel is paid for.

Because of this, I would say to anyone studying games or wanting to get in the industry (YES, I'm looking at you future prospective UCLAN Games design student) to do everything you can to get at internship. I've been here a week and I've already learnt a tonne about how the company works, and how each role in a team works together to produce a game. I don't think this is something you can learn while at university, especially if you are on a course when you don't really interact with the other games professions (i.e. Producers, Coders, Animators, all who work incredibly close together and interact with eachother all day long).

If you're worried about finding at internship too, DON'T BE. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Just try your hardest anyway. I emailed about 493423083902 companies in London...They must have my name on some kind of *BEWARE* list because of all the times I bugged them. Seriously though, they were incredibly helpful and kind (KUDOS to Nintendo and MediaMolecule, who sent me innumerable links and advice to help me) something which is unexpected of companies who are busy so much of the time.

Anyway, yes, internship = good. Travelling in London = Bad. My god, the tube. I live 12 miles away and it takes me an hour and a half to get home most of the time. A PAIN IN THE ARSE considering I'm working full time, Monday - Friday, 9.30AM - 6PM.

So: Also in normal life away from Central London (THERE IS ONE, WHO KNEW?!?_

- I finished Portal 2, amazing game, absolutely obsessed: http://rain.nxe7.com/

- Some more art (Which I miraculously did in between everything else, somehow. No I don't know either)








No comments:

Post a Comment