Getting into the games industry//Games Art//Games Articles

Sunday 6 May 2012

Rocky Problems

So most of my time over the past, say, week and a half have been accredited to rocks. If you see the post below, you will see how important rocks are to my new project, and I have made a firm decision that I’m not going to skimp on them and I want to do everything to the best of my ability.

But that’s easier said than done.

I decided to watch some youtube videos, get some grounding before I pounced. I first tried to model the rocks in Maya, and then sculpt them, but the outcome looked like a calipo lolly that had been pushed out of its packaging and left in the sun too long.

Then I came across this video:

Rock Sculpting like a PRO!

This kind of mixed things up a bit; I’d never worked from high to low poly before but I thought that maybe a different approach is what I needed, so I gave it a go and got this result

Rocks1

YEAH! ROCKS!

But then I came across another problem…How am I going to make the low poly? This was totally new to me and therefore I was stumped. After a little research, I decided to try Topogun:

 

Great programme, hideous loading screen.

It was amazing to say the least, and got the job done quick, but the problem was I didn’t have £60 to spare to pay for it and the trial didn’t let you export. Fair enough! It was an experience, something new learnt, but time to move on!

So I decided to use the retopology feature in Zbrush. It works, its great, but it’s pretty damn fiddly, especially how to can see through the mesh when you’re working on it. But I got the result I wanted, and here it is:

Retopped

Finally, a rock to texture! Alas, this is ONE rock and I’m going to need a fair few to cover that cliff face. We’re getting there though!

No comments:

Post a Comment